Camp COLEY at Camp Somers: August 4-10, 2019
Camp COLEY is a co-ed, weeklong resident camp for all girls and boys entering grades 3-12 in the fall. The camp offers fully supervised day and night activities. Camp COLEY 2019 takes place August 4-10, 2019.
Camp COLEY began in 1976 as a Camp Fire camp for girls in Medford NJ. In 2002, Camp COLEY became part of the Boy Scouts of America and is currently sponsored by Explorer Post 229. The camp has been held at Camp Somers in since 2007.
Each group of campers and their adult leaders visit program areas throughout the camp on a rotating schedule. Highlights include:
- Extensive aquatics area offers: swimming, boating, canoeing, sailing, kayaks, funyaks, and our 14’ iceberg. We also provide daily swimming instruction.
- Climbing and rappelling takes place on man-made climbing towers and natural rock walls.
- The shooting sports program offers a variety of age appropriate activities including BB guns, archery, 22 caliber rifles, and shotgun.
- Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience (COPE) lets campers develop teamwork, communication, trust, self-esteem, problem-solving, and decision making skills while having fun. The zip line is one of the highlights for older campers.
- Ecology exposes campers to the natural wonders of plant and animal life.
- Older campers get to ride all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) as part of an ATV Safety Institute program.
- The Handicraft pavilion gives campers the chance to express their creativity. Choose from a variety of projects, such as painting, jewelry making, and beading.
- Campers are introduced to outdoor skills such as knots, compass, flag etiquette, and cooking.
- Songs and games are always lots of fun for everyone.
Campers look forward to different activities each evening. At the conclusion of the evening program, campers and their leaders often enjoy visiting new friends in other campsites. All campers return to their own campsites by 10:00 pm.
Sunday: High-energy opening campfire introduces the theme as well as the Camp COLEY and Mt. Allamuchy Scout Reservation staffs.
Monday: Have a great time at the water carnival.
Tuesday: Evening of reflection, ceremonies, songs and readings.
Wednesday: A fun evening of campwide games.
Thursday: A dance for all ages, complete with our own DJ.
Friday: The closing ceremony includes a traditional campfire, followed by skits and songs performed by the campers.