Specialty Camps at Camp Somers: August 11-17, 2019
Our specialty camps are one-week resident camps held at Camp Somers in Stanhope, NJ August 11 - 17, 2019. We gladly welcome all boys and girls entering grades 6-12 at any of our specialty camps! We have 5 exciting programs to choose from.
Pick one, bring a friend, and have a fun-filled week!
Enjoy 5 fun-filled days on and in the water while working towards your rowing, canoeing, kayaking, small boat sailing, swimming, and life-saving merit badges. Every day you will have the opportunity to be in the water.
Sunday will be spent in the water. You will take your swim test, learn about life-saving and participate in water activities. Free time will be spent at the iceberg! On Monday you will work on perfecting your boating skills and Tuesday will focus on sailing. There will be a trip to Lake Hopatcong on Wednesday where you will receive in-depth sailing instruction and sail on the largest freshwater body in New Jersey! On Thursday and Friday you choose your aquatic activities! Every day the action continues into the evening when we'll have a blast at the other camp program areas!
Celebrating our 10th year!
- Do you love to lash?
- Do you want to learn how to build challenging towers, bridges, catapults, and more using nothing but sticks, rope, pioneering tools and your own hands?
- Are you interested in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics?
- Do you just want to have fun?
Backwoods Engineering Camp is a weeklong STEM experience for those who are interested in building and accomplishing tasks beyond the normal Scouts BSA program. This is an individual sign-up - so come by yourself or bring a friend. Over the course of the week, the group will build trestle bridges, a signal tower, a catapult, a cable-stayed bridge, and rafts using spars and ropes. Participants will learn the principles of stable structures, stress, and load distribution. You will also learn about the six simple machines, how to use them, and how they permeate every aspect of our daily lives.
Campers will form their own camp troop and patrols for the week and will also participate in camp wide and fun activities at Camp Somers. We provide the leadership, campsite, meals, and fun. You provide the enthusiasm! Check out the Backwoods Engineering summer camp FAQs as well as our Backwoods Engineering resources and weekend programs HERE.
Climbing gives campers the opportunity to develop their skills, and take their climbing to the next level. Before the end of the week, climbers find out just what they can do. Quite often, it’s more than they ever dreamed possible. Climbing fosters self-esteem, teamwork, communication, and adventure. With multiple day trips, Scouts will get the opportunity to experience climbing in a variety of different locations.
Participating Boy Scouts over the age of 16 will have the opportunity to earn BSA Climbing Instructors In Training certification, the first step in becoming a BSA Climbing Instructor.
Improve your marksmanship skills in a fun and safe environment. Rifles, shotgun shooting, archery, competitions, NRA Marksmanship program and more. Become totally immersed in shooting sports. Earn your rifle, shotgun, and archery merit badges. Work towards becoming a sharpshooter and attaining NRA certification. During the week you will have hands-on experience with different firearms and different scopes as well as target archery.
Sunday's focus will be on safety. Attend safety orientation, learn the range rules as well as firearm cleaning and maintenance. On Monday you will begin qualifying for NRA ranks. The afternoon will focus on rifles with different scopes and in different positions. The focus on Tuesday is shotgun and archery. You will have an opportunity to try your hand at Laporte archery which is like skeet shooting but you will use your bow and arrow. See if you can hit the target midair! On Wednesday we'll head over to Camp Wheeler to work with the larger caliber guns including the muzzleloader. On Thursday and Friday, you pick your own program! Pick any area or you can choose to attend the NJDEP Hunter Safety Course. Every day the action continues into the evening when we'll have a blast at the other camp program areas!
Experience a week of awesome and challenging activities using Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. This is the week to work on your Astronomy, Chemistry, Game Design, Environmental Science, Plant Science, and Nature merit badges!
One week only! August 11-17, 2019
- $420 - Early Bird - paid in full by 4/30/19
- $470 -Paid after 4/30/19
- Multiple Week Discount: Take $50 off of each additional session of camp
- Sibling Discount: Take $50 off of each additional sibling
- Active Military Discount: Take 50% off of one session of camp – active military families (youth and adults) –contact our office for details/eligibility.
- Applies to all Patriots’ Path Council Boy Scout Camps - Includes Resident Camp and Camps for Individual Scouts. Excludes Camp COLEY and Adirondack Treks
The Warren Wheeler Adventureship is available to help families who need help covering the camp costs.
- BSA Annual Health and Medical Record – Medical forms may be submitted to camp at a Camp Orientation, or turned in on the first day of your child’s week of camp.
- Immunization Exempt Request Form
- ATV Permission Slip
- Camp Map
- Directions to Camp
- Youth Protection Training
- Guide to Safe Scouting
- Food Allergies/Sensitivities at Camp
- 2019 Specialty Week Parents’ Guide - coming soon!
- 2019 Leaders Meeting Presentation Slides
- Replacement Blue Cards: email Richard Hawkins
- Child Care Camp Receipts for Dependent Care Accounts
- Tax ID: 22-3661431