Camp Somers: 4 One-Week Resident Camp Sessions for Troops & Individuals
Located on the 1,000-acre Mount Allamuchy Scout Reservation in Stanhope NJ, Camp Somers has been providing campers with lifetime memories for more than 60 years. We are proud to offer four one-week sessions of day camp and resident camp to Scouts BSA attending with their troop or by themselves! Campers attending without their troop will be grouped together and form camp troops.
Camp Somers is proud to offer the following for troops and individual campers:
- Opportunity to work on more than 60 merit badges.
- Eagle’s Nest offers Eagle required badges and a computer lab with wi-fi.
- Dan Beard is our superb first year camper program. Scouts have fun learning and practicing Scout skills needed for Tenderfoot through First Class ranks. They can also work on age appropriate merit badges.
- Trailblazer Day Camp is for both first-year and experienced higher-ranking Scouts BSA. Campers can work on rank advancement, merit badges, and participate in high adventure programs. Camp runs Monday to Friday from 8:45 am – 4:00 pm. Free busing is available from many locations throughout Morris, Sussex and NW Somerset counties.
- The Ernest Thomson Seton program is designed for Boy Scouts who have completed Dan Beard or are looking to complete the last few requirements for First Class.
- Scouts 14 years and older can participate in our all-terrain vehicle program. This BSA approved* program stresses both safety and fun.
- Our extensive challenge course is the site of the COPE and Climbing programs. Learn to climb and rappel on the 48-foot climbing tower and try your skill on our natural rock face climbing areas.
- Mountain biking is fun for both campers and leaders. We have daily treks that cater to all skill levels.
- The Shooting Sports program includes rifle, shotgun, archery, and handguns.
- Our Aquatics area offers merit badges such as Swimming, Lifesaving, Canoeing, Rowing, Kayaking and Small Boat Sailing. Don’t miss the popular canoe wars or 14-foot iceberg!
- Handicraft features a variety of merit badges in an environment perfect for hands-on creativity and Scoutcraft offers several merit badges and has something for everyone.
- The Ecology Conservation program offers more than a dozen merit badges, hikes and more. Our STEM area offers science, technology, engineering and math programs, and Nova awards.
- Outdoors Skills offers Camping, Cooking, Geocaching, Pioneering, and Wilderness Survival merit badges. For those interested in going above and beyond Totin’ Chip and Firem'n Chit, you can sign up for our Paul Bunyan Woodsman and Firemaster awards.
Attending as an Individual?
Our camp troop program is perfect for campers who can’t go to camp with their troop, or just want more camp time. These campers can work on more merit badges or simply enjoy our programs. The camp provides adult leaders with many years of troop experience. If your camper wishes to be placed with a particular troop, make arrangements directly with that troop’s leader prior to coming to camp then contact Tom Stoddard at 973-765-9322 ext 413 one week prior to your child's arrival. Otherwise, the camp will place your camper with an available troop.
*The use of ATVs have been approved by the Boy Scouts of America only for this location and program, and any use of ATVs must comply with BSA camping standards. ATVs are not authorized for unit activities.
- July 5 – 11, 2020
- July 12 – 18, 2020
- July 19 – 25, 2020
- July 26 – August 1, 2020
- $425 - Early Bird - paid in full by 5/1/20
- $475 -Paid after 5/1/20
- $10 additional for camp troop
- Graduating Webelos extension through 5/31/20
- Free adult leadership - 3 per troop
- Troop Site Deposit - $250
- Additional Adult Leaders - $150
The Warren Wheeler Adventureship is available to help families who need help covering the camp costs.
- BSA Annual Health and Medical Record – Medical forms may be submitted to camp at a Camp Orientation, or turned in on the first day of your child’s week of camp.
- Immunization Exempt Request Form
- ATV Permission Slip
- Printable Camp Map
- Online Camp Map
- Directions to Camp
- Youth Protection Training
- Guide to Safe Scouting
- Food Allergies/Sensitivities at Camp
- 2020 Camp Somers Leaders’ Guide
- 2020 Camp Somers Leaders' Meeting Slides (Coming Soon!)
- 2019 Patriots' Path Council Camping Policies
Apply for Camp Staff
- Replacement Blue Cards: email Richard Hawkins
- Child Care Camp Receipts for Dependent Care Accounts
- Tax ID: 22-3661431